AMD surprised everyone with the announcement of the Fidelity FX Super Resolution (FSR) on Computex as an alternative to DLSS from NVIDIA, as it represents a new open source rescaling technique that, however, allows it to work with graphics cards of its competition. This definitely represents a strong slap from the reds to consolidate itself as a universal option within this section.
Through a video conference to which we had access, the company based in Santa Clara, California gave us more details about the technology that will go into operation this June 22nd.
How does AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution work?
In simple terms, this patent renders with anti aliasing, later it makes a mapping applying rescaling and image polishing. It is important to note that effects such as the film grain effect, chromatic aberration etc. will be applied after executing this effect, seeking to improve performance up to 2.4 times, increasing the frames per second with low latency to better exploit the new monitors that have these capabilities.
To understand a little better in what scale FSR is done, below we will list the scale degree that is applied in 4K and in 1440p with different configurations.
With 4k resolution
- In ultra mode it will have a 1.3x scale per dimension at a resolution of 2954×1662
- In quality mode it will have a scale of 1.5x per dimension at a resolution of 2960×1440
- In balanced mode it will have a scale of 1.7x per dimension in a resolution of 2259×1270
- In performance mode it will have a scale of 2.0x per dimension at a resolution of 1920×1080
With 1440p resolution
- In ultra mode it will scale 1.3x per dimension at a resolution of 1970×1108
- In quality mode it will have a scale of 1.5x per dimension at a resolution of 1706×960
- In balanced mode it will have a scale of 1.7x per dimension at a resolution of 1506×847
- In performance mode it will have a scale of 2.0x per dimension in a resolution of 1280×720
What graphics cards and processors will FSR work with?
- Radeon RX series RX 6000/6000M Series
- Radeon RX series RX 5000/5000M Series
- Radeon RX series 500
- Radeon RX series 480/470/460
- Ryzen 2000 or newer series processors with Radeon graphics
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX Series 30
- NVIDIA GeForce RXT Seroes 20
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX series 10/16
What titles will be supported by AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution?
Available from this June 22
- 22nd Century Racing Series
- YEAR 1800
- Evil Genius 2: World Domination
- Terminator Resistance
- The Riftbreaker
- Baldur’s Gate
- DOTA 2
- Edge of Eternity
- Far Cry 6
- Farming Simulator 2
- Necromuda: Hiredgun
- Resident Evil Village
- Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodhunt
What are the implications of the FSR?
Like all patents of this nature, everything will depend on the adoption and implementation by the studios, but taking as a reference that AMD dominates the graphics of the new consoles and above all that it opened the possibility that AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution works even With NVIDIA GPUs, this technology sounds promising.
Take as a reference that from a developer’s point of view it will involve less adaptation effort for a greater mass and is somewhat more inclusive than NVIDIA’s DLSS which is limited to the newer models of graphics cards.
It is a fact that in the short term we will not see dramatic and radical changes, but like DLSS, FSR has a long way to go.