Brazil announces the construction of the largest seawater desalination plant

Recife (Brazil), Jul 20 (EFE) .- The Brazilian state of Ceará (northeast) announced on Tuesday the construction of the largest seawater desalination plant in the country and that will allow the supply of 720,000 people from 2025, reported the regional government.

“With the pioneering project in Brazil, Ceará will have, in addition to traditional sources of water and the transposition of the Sao Francisco River, with desalinated sea water suitable for human consumption,” said Governor Camilo Santana, quoted in the release.

The plant will be built on Playa del Futuro in Fortaleza, the regional capital, with a capacity of 1 cubic meter per second and using the Morro Santa Terezinha and Aldeota reserves, with an increase in supply supply of 12%.

The increase in supply will also allow the use of water for agricultural purposes in a region close to the Agreste Nordestino, as the desert of that part of the country is known.

The project, precisely, arose in 2015 when Brazil had one of its worst water crises and Ceará was one of the states most affected by the drought and that required alternatives to guarantee the aqueduct service to the population.

The investment for the construction of the plant, which should start operating in 2025, will be 500 million reais (about 100 million dollars), but with a consideration of 3,000 million (about 600 million reais) in benefits for the population. Santana noted.

The archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, which administratively belongs to the state of Pernambuco (northeast), has so far the main desalination experience in the country with a supply of 60% from its main island. The remaining 40% is through wells and rain reuse.

(c) EFE Agency

Article Source