In the boxing ring, Saúl “Canelo” Álvarez has proven to be a master of his craft. He can take on opponents’ punches with ease. However, outside of it, the Mexican idol often has to do the same with his critics.
Less than a month after fighting in Mexico against John Ryder, “Canelo” had to defend himself against negative comments made by former Mexican world champion Juan Manuel Márquez. Márquez criticized Álvarez for choosing Ryder as an opponent, whom he considers to be a “regular fighter, middle level and below.”
“There was always criticism at the pass, and there continues to be criticism,” Álvarez said in an interview with The Associated Press. “It is a division between the ‘haters’ (those who hate) and those who support me, which fortunately there are more.”
The 32-year-old hasn’t stepped into the ring since September of last year when he beat Gennady Golovkin. In addition to criticizing Ryder as an opponent, “Dynamite” Márquez said it’s time for Álvarez to give David Benavídez a chance. Benavídez was already a two-time World Boxing Council super middleweight world champion.
“When you are a world champion, you have to face anyone, whether it’s Mexican or European,” said Márquez. “As a champion, I would show the world that ‘I’m at a higher level and you’re not going to beat me.'”
Álvarez has avoided facing Benavídez, claiming that he doesn’t like fighting against other Mexicans. “His words do not affect me, and I do not take them into account,” added “Canelo.”
After fighting Golovkin, Álvarez underwent surgery on his left wrist, which took him six weeks away from training. “I feel very good; the preparation has been excellent, and I am now available to train one hundred percent. That makes me more motivated and train hard in Guadalajara and adapting to the altitude,” concluded Álvarez.
The highly anticipated fight between Saúl Álvarez and John Ryder will take place on May 6 at the Akron Stadium in Guadalajara. The fight will be televised on Canales Televisa, TV Azteca, and ESPN.