Anime is one of the most successful genres in the industry, which keeps the audience on the edge of their seats. Eventually, they follow it season after season with the same excitement. Netflix’s original Castlevania is one of the most loved anime globally.
Created by Warren Ellis and developed by Kevin Kolde, Castlevania, is based on a video game of the same name. The vampire anime is enticing and has completed four seasons. Though as exciting as the thought of a vampire anime sounds, it gets difficult for the makers to pull off something extraordinary season after season. But Castlevania begs to differ. The anime has over-delivered itself throughout the four seasons, making the audience fall for everything, from the characters to the storyline to the presentation.
By the looks of it, the misadventures of the protagonists, Trevor and Sypha, seem to be over in season 4. It made fans worldwide wonder if Castlevania would be renewed for the next season.
What is the Plot?
Castlevania is inspired by the classic video game in which a vampire hunter fights to save a besieged city from an army of otherworldly beasts controlled by Dracula himself.
When Lisa Tepes, beloved wife of Vlad Tepes aka Dracula, is accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake by an overzealous bishop, he declares war on the people of Wallachia and unleashes an army of murderous demonic creatures from Hell. Fortunately, Trever Belmont, the last survivor of the Belmont clan, a disgraced family known for hunting the monsters, is still in town. He agrees to take the fight to the lord of vampires.
The show aired on the 7th of July, 2017, whereas its last season (Season 4) aired last year on the 13th of May.
Meet the Cast of Castlevania
The voiceover of the main characters includes the following.
- Trevor Belmont – Richard Armitage
- Sypha Belnades – Alejandra Reynoso
- Alucard – James Callis
- Dracula – Graham McTavish
- Hector – Theo James
- Isaac – Adetohkumboh M’Cormack
- Carmilla – Jamie Murray
Will there be Season 5 of Castlevania?
In 2018, Castlevania was nominated for the IGN Award for Best Animated TV Series. The second season of the series received a perfect rating on Rotten Tomatoes. But despite its successful reception by the audience and critics, Netflix has pulled the plug on it after its fourth season.
Netflix has confirmed that with the fourth season, it has summed up the anime’s production.
There is Some Good News!
Although Netflix has officially confirmed the end of Castlevania, there is some relief for the fans. The streaming company has confirmed another good news planning a new spin-off sequel animated series Castlevania.
This series is titled Castlevania: Nocturne and is already in production.
What Happened in the Season 4 Finale?
The fourth season finale saw many factions come together for the final battle at the regal Castle Dracula. After a shocking revelation that Malcolm McDowell’s Varney was actually a guise for Death himself, Trevor took the fight to the big bad and banished the hate-filled specter with his old magic. It seemed that the protagonist had made his sacrifice; however, Trevor survived the ordeal when Saint Germain’s final act sucked Belmont into the safety of the Infinite Hallway.
Alucard and Greta were seen settling down alongside Trevor and pregnant Sypha, which suggested that all was well. However, there is not a post-credit scene in the traditional sense. There is a final twist instead when a reanimated Dracula and Lisa are seen alive and well.
Although the process of bringing their souls from Hell and splicing them into one body failed, they escaped limbo and found themselves in their original bodies. The season showed Dracula finally putting his quest for resentment behind him. With the pair deciding to explore the world together, they also vowed to keep their resurrection a secret from Alucard’s happy ending.
When Will the Spin-Off Be Aired?
The confirmation of a spin-off series of Castlevania has put all the fans in excitement. Although no official confirmation on the release date of the spin-off series has been given by the streaming service, it is presumed that it will release sometime by fall 2023.
Coming to its plot, Castlevania: Nocturne will tell the story of Richter Belmond and Maria Renard during the French Revolution. Alongside Richter and Maria, there will be a new set of monstrous missions. The plot will be set in 1792.
The series will be helmed by Kevin Kolde alongside Clive Bradley. Warren Ellis, the former executive producer will not return to the franchise as there had been multiple allegations of misconduct against him in June 2020.
How Did Castlevania Perform on the TV?
The series had been successful in making an incredible impression on the audience and critics alike when it first debuted in 2017. In no time, it became one of the most popular digital original series in the United States of America for two weeks.
When Season 2 of Castlevania was launched, it successfully gathered 30 million streams on Netflix. Reportedly, it was something never heard of for an original animated title. Fans worldwide fell in love with the plot and characters, especially Trevor and Sypha. Currently, Castlevania boasts an 8.3/10 score on IMDb. Its ratings on Rotten Tomatoes, too, have been impressive. While the first and third seasons had a score of 82% and 95%, seasons 2 and 4 received 100% audience ratings.
Why Should I Watch Castlevania?
The anime’s high rating and warm reception by the critics and audience are not the only reasons you should watch Castlevania. There are many others.
- Whether you are new to the party or already an anime enthusiast, you do not need any previous experience to watch this show. Although this show is inspired by a video game of the same name, it doesn’t matter if you have ever played it or not. The premise of this anime is so straightforward that you can watch it without previous experience.
- Castlevania is an easy and entertaining marathon watch, and if you have enough free time, you can even binge on all the episodes at once. The entire run is a little less than five hours. Thus, take a lazy Saturday or stay up late one night and dive into the world of vampires, monsters, and magic.
- Throughout the seasons, Castlevania will offer you a great dose of action. Kudos to the makers for designing the fight scenes so phenomenally. Besides the action scenes, the dialogue and world-building in the anime are equally impressive. These are the reasons to catch up on Castlevania if you haven’t done so.
- Watch this anime is for the amazing characters. Trevor is not the only character worth watching. Sypha, Alucard, Trevor, and Camille will capture your heart. All the characters on the show are well-developed with solid motivation. Each individual stands out to become the favorite of many. Alucard’s character is highly impressive. His internal conflict as a half-vampire, half-human, and the fallout of his decision put him in a powerful yet isolated spot. Throughout the series, the development of each character has been incredible.
- The plot gets more engaging season by season. If you are a fan of thriller and suspenseful anime, Castlevania should not be missed.
- Another reason to catch up with the show is its excellent monster design. The makers have put their best foot forward in designing the antagonists of the show throughout the four seasons. Even though most of them do not get dialogue, their designs remain top-notch. They are portrayed as visually stunning, horrific, and downright genius in the way they fight and move. Their portrayal itself makes the anime a treat to watch.
- The number of twists in the show will take your excitement level to the maximum. These twists do not exist just for the sake of it. They end up adding to the bigger side of the story. Some twists are small and unexpected, but not too game-changing, not distracting from the main plot in any way. But others are worth talking about.
- Castlevania’s animation has always been one of its strengths and cannot be praised enough. Besides animation, a shoutout should also be given to the sheer beauty of the art direction, especially in Season 4. The backgrounds have been kept top-notch, despite the violence and gore. There are impressive structures of castles and cities.
- The costume designs throughout the season are another reason to praise Castlevania. There are some standout works when designing a costume for the characters, especially in the fourth season.
- If you are still falling short of the reasons to watch Castlevania, watch it for the end. Even at the end, the anime manages to throw engaging twists at the audience, giving the characters unexpected conclusions. Generally, it becomes difficult to have such a large and vibrant cast and give satisfying endings to each one. But Castlevania has always stood out.
Where Can I Watch Castlevania?
While you await word on the spin-off series of Castlevania, you can meanwhile stream all the previous seasons. All four seasons of Castlevania are available to stream on Netflix.