PS5 already allows the community to expand its almacinternal enamiento. The new update of the Sony console gives the possibility of attaching your own SSD to your console. First of all, several considerations must be taken. What is an M.2 SSD, requirements and steps … We will review in this piece everything you need to take into account.
What is an M.2 SSD?
The console requires a specific type of hard drive to be compatible. The SSD M.2 They’re a high speed version solid state drives. It should be noted that the SATA versions of these drives are not compatible with PS5.
What are the PS5 M.2 SSD requirements?
Then we leave you the requirements that your complementary internal SSD must meet on PS5:
- Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD.
- Capacity: between 250 GB and 4 TB.
- Refrigeration system: “Using an M.2 Ssd on your PS5 requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, like a heatsink. You can add one to your M.2 SSD, either in single-sided or dual-sided format. There are also other models that incorporate their own heatsink ”.
- Sequence reading speedl: 5,500MB / s or faster.
- Module width: 22mm (25mm ones are not supported).
- Form factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
- Socket Type: Socket 3 (M)
- Total size including cooling structure: smaller than 110mm (length) x 25mm (width) x 11.25mm (height)
- Supported length: 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm
- Supported width: 22mm; the complete structure cannot exceed 25mm
- Supported height: the maximum height including the cooling structure must be less than 11.25mm
- Supported single M.2 SSD devices side or double.
- SATA M.2 SSDs are not supported.
- Notes: “not all games can necessarily be played with the same performance as the PS5’s internal SSD, even if the read speed is higher than 5500MB / s.”
What M.2 SSDs on the market are compatible with PS5?
There are several models on the market, some with an integrated heatsink; others without it. We recommend that you get an M.2 SSD that has it incorporated. In this way you save the extra payment and at the same time you can test if it fits well in the hole of your console. You also have to take into account the speed of reading: those with speed of minimum read of 5,500 MB / s or higher.
Mark Cerny, the architect of PlayStation 5, showed his personal choice on his personal Twitter account. Its about Western Black SN 850, with read speed of up to 7000 MB / s. This SSD is marketed in the main technology chains of our country.
Then we leave you with some of the recommended models.
Samsung 980 Pro (requires heatsink)
Crucial P5 Plus (requires heatsink)
MSI Space M480
Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S
Adata XPG S70 Blade
How to install an SSD on PS5?
The official PlayStation manual outlines in detail the steps you must take to install your M.2 SSD. It should be noted that the console must be turned off at all times. Have a # 1 Phillips-type screwdriver or anything with a star tip on hand.
Turn off your PS5 console. Next, remove all cables and devices from your PS5 console. Wait a moment for your PS5 console to cool down.
Place your PS5 console on a flat surface with a protective cover and remove the base.
Position your PS5 console so that the PS logo is facing down and the power button is facing away from you.
Hold the bottom right corner edge with your right hand and the top left corner edge of the cover with your left hand.
Gently lift the lid with your right hand.
Slide the cover off with your left thumb while using the fingers of your left hand to stabilize the PS5 console. The cover will lift. There is a long rectangular cover over the expansion slot, fixed with a screw at the top.
Remove the expansion slot cover screw (A), and then remove the cover.
Remove the screw (B) carefully. Move the spacer (C) to the corresponding slot according to the size of your M.2 SSD.
Hold the edge of your M.2 SSD, align it with the notch on the expansion connector, and then insert it firmly all the way, starting diagonally upward. Make sure that the M.2 SSD PCB is resting at the height of the standoff, without being obstructed by the cooling structure. If you continue to the next step and the M.2 SSD is inserted incorrectly or not seated firmly all the way into the expansion connector, the terminal and the PS5 console could be damaged.
Tilt your M.2 SSD down and secure it to the standoff with the screws. Make sure your cooling structure doesn’t obstruct the screw.
Attach the expansion slot cover and fix it with the screw. If the slot cover does not close properly, your cooling frame will likely exceed the size requirements.
Replace the cover an inch from the top edge and slide it into place. You will hear a click when the cover fits snugly.
Connect the AC power cord, cables, and base. Then turn on the power. When you turn on the PS5 console, the formatting guide appears. Follow the onscreen instructions to format your M.2 SSD.