Tomatoes are widely used in cooking due to the flavor and versatility they bring to dishes. Many people discard the tomato skin when cooking, but this is not recommended. Tomato skins contain a range of nutrients that can be beneficial to health. Additionally, they can be used to create homemade tomato powder which can be used to enhance the flavors of salads, pasta, pizzas, and other preparations.
How to Make Homemade Tomato Powder
Follow these tips to make homemade tomato powder recommended by several chefs:
1. Make a cut in the middle of each tomato to make it easier to peel them
2. Blanch the tomatoes for 45 seconds in a pot with boiling water
3. Remove the skins from the tomatoes with your fingers
4. Separate the tomatoes for some preparation and gather the skins in a container
5. Place the tomato skins on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and take it to the oven (at 150°C) for 15 minutes. If you don’t have an oven, you can dry the shells in the sun (you can put a mesh on top)
6. Once the shells are dry, pulverize them. You can use a grinder or any other powerful processor to perform this procedure
7. Place the tomato powder in small containers with lids
Tomato skins should not be discarded as they contain nutrients that can be beneficial for health. Instead, the skins can be used to create homemade tomato powder, which can be used to enhance the flavors of various dishes. The process is simple and can be done with just a few items found in most kitchens. It’s time to take advantage of the versatility of tomatoes and make the most of their skins.