There are those who do not care about it, but the ‘snitch’ that is the icon for confirming the reading of a message in WhatsApp is one of those functions capable of stressing, overwhelming and even causing fights -the typical “you left me last night in read, why what did you not answer me? “.
For this reason, there are those who want to continue using the messaging app, but without so many confirmations. And they even look for a way to be ‘invisible’, and read messages that reach them without the read receipt jumping.
Created to review the status of shipments, WhatsApp has up to 4 indicators when you send a message or any other type of content -a photo, a video, a document-, to indicate if it has been sent well, if it has been received and if it has been has read.
Next to the message you just sent there is a clock, an icon that reviews that there are connectivity problems, and therefore the message has not yet left your mobile and it has not reached the WhatsApp servers
1 Check gris
The message has come out of your mobile and has reached the WhatsApp / Facebook servers
Double Check gray
The message has passed from the app’s servers to the recipient’s mobile, who has already received it
Blue Double Check
Read confirmation. The recipient has read the message
I want to read a WhatsApp message that I have received from a contact or group, but I don’t want the read receipt sent. In other words: I do not want it to appear as read or for the double blue check of WhatsApp to appear. Is that possible? Yes, and without installing anything:
1- WhatsApp Widgets
- We unlock the smartphone and go to the main desktop screen -where we usually have widgets like the weather forecast activated-. The best thing is that we slide our finger to the side to be on a page completely free of icons.
- Now we make a long press on the screen. In this way we will get different configuration and customization options. We are interested in the one that says ‘Widget’. We give it and enter.
- Depending on the apps and programs you have on your phone, more or less Widgets pages will appear. As they are usually arranged alphabetically, it is best to go to the last one altogether, until we see WhatsApp.
- Now we will see several Widgets and icons within it. The one that interests us is called WhatsApp and usually occupies a space of 4×2 according to Android. Hold it down and drag it to the empty page, since unlike an app icon that occupies a single box, this widget occupies 4 boxes wide by 2 high.
And that’s it. We already have the WhatsApp widget active and with it our trick. What will happen now when I receive a message? Then do the test you will see that the widget screen will appear the name of the contact and the entire message. In fact, if we receive several whatsapps from different contacts, they will all appear and you just have to scroll a little.
The advantage is in this way we do not have to enter WhatsApp to read them since we do it through the widget, and therefore it will not appear in the app or that we have read it or that we are online or anything.
2- Deactivate the reading confirmation
- and a Settings opening the upper right icon of the three vertical dots.
- Look for the section of Account and then enter Privacy
- At the bottom you will see the option to delete Read Receipts.
You can directly deactivate the double blue check so that no one will know when you have read the message, giving you a little more privacy. But beware, in the same way that they will not be able to see if you have read it, you won’t be able to see if a contact has read yours either except if you are in a group chat, since this option does not deactivate the Read receipts for the group chats or the replay confirmation for the voice messages.
3- The Popup Window
WhatsApp has several functions to notify a user that they have received new messages. And one of them is the popup window, a pop-up window that appears in half of the mobile screen when it is activated and you receive a message. This window can appear when the mobile is on, off, even on the lock screen.
But the best thing is its customization, since either it can be activated for all contacts by entering Settings> Notifications> Pop-up window, or only for those that we are interested in seeing without activating the confirmation, which is known as personalized notification.
EYE, that this function began to fail in Android 10 until WhatsApp officially announced that it no longer works in this version of the OS, although continues to work without problems on mobiles with Android 9 or older:
- Open the contact chat window to which you are going to activate the pop-up window
- Hit the menu settings (the three vertical dots) and select view contact, or directly click on the photo at the top.
- You will see an option called Custom Notifications, click to activate it and choose the notification in the pop-up window. With this, this particular contact will show you the messages where you choose, and you will be able to read them without the blue confirmation.
4- Classic: Disabling Data
The most basic, and also the easiest to do, you can read a message from a contact offline, and so they don’t know that you have read it. For this you just have to turn off Data / Wi-Fi on your mobile -or activate Airplane mode. Now open WhatsApp and you can go to the contact and read what they have sent you.
The problem? That although the message is not confirmed as ‘read’ at that moment or when you activate data / wifi again, yes, it will be confirmed automatically the moment you open WhatsApp after going back online, even if you don’t enter that contact’s chat. Therefore this is an effective but temporary solution.