On November 30, the International Information Security Day. A celebration that arose in 1988, as a consequence of the first case of malware spreading over the network that was registered in the world, known under the name of “Morris worms”, which affected 10% of the machines connected to the Internet at that time, which was Aparnet.
As a result of this situation the Association for Computing Machinery (DHW), decree that every November 30, all people would be reminded of the obligation and need they have to protect their data from any type of corrupt action that may occur in the digital sphere.
Read also: Changes you should make in whatsapp to take care of your safety
Currently, most of the sensitive information of companies is on the Internet, more specifically in the different clouds. Workers are the first responsible for ensuring this data and not sharing it by any other means that could put the information at risk.
In order to join the celebration, here we share 7 basic tips that every Internet user should follow.
How to protect your internet security
- Manage your passwords well: It is not only about putting a difficult password in terms of length, but also that it does not have as much relation to you, or at least not as obvious a relationship as your dog’s name or your date of birth. As well as avoiding words that appear in the dictionary. The second thing is to try to vary the password in the different portals, if you want you can have 5 main ones, but not just one for everything.
- Don’t trust the public Wifi: It’s not that you can’t use it to ask questions, watch a video while waiting for the train or read news, but don’t use it in high-risk spaces, such as enter the bank’s page and even enter your social networks or email.
- Always update the software: We all find it tedious that every so often the computer or our website says that we have to update a program or plugin, but normally these updates seek to create patches in gaps that the previous version has left free and that puts our data at risk.
- Don’t download everything from anywhere: A bad habit that netizens have, is that we love the free and that’s why without thinking much we give it to download. Same with emails that have an attachment that looks interesting. First make sure that the website or sender is safe and then download the content.
- The mobile phone is also a computer: You must manage your mobile, just as you do with your PC. That is, download an antivirus and take care of the sites you enter with it.