Fan-favorite series Young Sheldon returned with its sixth season recently and created a buzz among the audience. This comedy drama has a way to tickle your funny bones, and rightly so. You may be aware that the series is a spin-off to another popular sitcom called The Big Bang Theory, where actor Jim Parsons played the adult Sheldon Cooper. The original series was created by Chuck Loree and Bill Prady, whereas the show-runners of the spin-off series are Lorre and Steven Molaro, respectively.
Throughout the series, the fans will recognize many things, with numerous callbacks and references to The Big Bang Theory and beyond. The show follows Sheldon Cooper’s childhood, and he becomes the scientific marvel fans know him as from the original series. Fans also wonder why the whole series has been shot.
Here’s everything to know about the shooting location and if the town exists in real life?
Where does Young Sheldon Take Place?
The original series, The Big Bang Theory, took place in Pasadena. Set in Los Angeles County, the show followed the friendship of four individuals living in an apartment building and their awkward and endearing adventures in each episode.
Young Sheldon takes all the fans back to the late 1980s and early 1990s and follows the story of Sheldon as he attends the high school. The whole series is set in the fictional town of Medford, Texas. The original series takes place in a real-life location, while its spin-off invites the audience to a completely new and unique location that doesn’t exist in real life.
The show purposely references the period on more than one occasion to show the audience the exact date it is set to help tie it to the original series. Interestingly, it also has Jim Parsons returning to narrate Young Sheldon, another attempt by the makers to connect the two shows.
Parsons even explained how Young Sheldon helped him to continue to explore character, despite the ending of the main show. According to him,
“I have already done voiceovers on Young Sheldon for ages that are older than I ever got with Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. He spoke of his children last season, and obviously, we haven’t seen that yet. I will get to hear where the writers’ imaginations take the character that I never would have gotten to find out otherwise.”
The Different Filming Locations of the Show
Like many other sitcoms, this series, too, is set in a few places that keep appearing persistently on the show. Some locations that appear frequently and in almost every episode are his house and school. The entire plot is set in Medford, Texas, a fictional town.
Here are the filming locations of Young Sheldon.
Los Angeles, USA
The series is not filmed in the same place, as it is set in. Instead of Texas, the series is largely filmed in Los Angeles.
Most of the exterior shots of the series are filmed in California in an American city.
The most common location is Sheldon’s house. The actual place where the exterior shorts are filmed is situated in San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles. It is located at 5501, Morella Avenue in North Hollywood, California. The whole house has an aesthetic of a ranch and is located a couple of miles from the famous Warner Bros. Studio.
Besides that, the church in Sheldon’s locality, where you would spot the family going regularly is a common location in the series. The church is depicted to exist in Medford, Texas. The filming of the series is largely at the First Christian Church of North Hollywood on 4390 Colfax Avenue in North Hollywood, California.
Sheldon’s high school is another frequent location on the show. The school actually is the Van Nuys High School, located at 6535 Cedros Avenue, Los Angeles, California. Besides that, the exteriors, and numerous scenes set inside the school are filmed in the same school.
Warner Bros. Studio, California
Like other sitcoms, this one too is set indoors and shot at sets and sound stages at Warner Bros. Studio in Burbank, California. The series was expected to cash in on the fame of The Big Bang Theory, and hence, a set was commissioned to be created before its filming.
Besides that, the house of Sheldon’s grandmother, Meemaw, is shown to be situated opposite Sheldon’s house. The place in reality is located four miles from Sheldon’s house and is a part of Warner Bros. Studio. The street where it is located is called Blondie Street.
Some Interesting Facts About the Series
- Not many people know this, but Mary in Young Sheldon is the daughter of the actress who played Mary in The Big Bang Theory.
- Throughout the show, Jim Parsons is the narrator of Young Sheldon as an adult who is looking back at his childhood.
- Renowned TV personality Melissa Joan Hart was given an opportunity to direct an episode of Young Sheldon last year. She even described her experience as the highlight of 2020 and posted a picture on her social media account describing the same.
- Most of the young stars from the series have a handsome bank balance. The child actor, Iain Armitage, who plays the protagonist in the show, has a bank balance of $5.6 million. His reel mother has an estimated net worth of $1.1 million. Other cast members, too, have handsome net worth – Annie Potts ($11 million), Lance Barber ($1 million), Montana Jordan ($3 million), and Raegan Revord ($650,000).
- When the prequel to the Big Bang Theory was announced, the expectations of the fans were extremely high. The show delivered more than what fans were expecting out of it. In no time, Young Sheldon turned out to be a big blockbuster.
- George Cooper appeared as one of Leonard’s high school bullies. He was seen making a cameo appearance on The Big Bang Theory.
- Although Young Sheldon braced the screens after The Big Bang Theory as a former’s prequel, it had been the origin story of Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory. The show discusses all the events that played a vital role in forming the Sheldon we know today. The show highlights why Sheldon is so highly obsessed with comics, why he still loves to go to church, and more. Besides knowing Sheldon, the show also discusses how his family sees him.