Pokémon Legends: Arceus was the main protagonist of Pokémon Presents on August 18. We have been without news for half a year about the expected Game Freak video game on Nintendo Switch, a new playable bet where open environments and ARPG mechanics take a leading role in this old Sinnoh, which at that time was known as Hisui. Even turn-based combat will have changes, an opportunity to refresh a system that has been polished with subtle changes for two decades. We explain what is that of the combat system with Fast Style and Strong Style.
Pokémon legends: Arceus and the combat systems, what they are and what they imply
Our goal in Pokémon Legends Arceus is to investigate the environments of the Hisui region after joining the research team of the Galaxy Team, which was not a criminal organization then. This majestic territory has the Monte Corona as a backbone, a huge volcanic mountain that divides the island into – at least – five large subregions, which are where the capture and exploration investigations. Meadow Obsidian, for example, is one of them; each with its ecosystem and unique Pokémon. At the moment, we have 160 confirmed creatures.
- The fighting will be in turns, although it will be possible to capture Pokémon without fighting if we are skilled enough, we are not sighted and we use the appropriate tools. To start a fight against a Pokémon, just throw a Poké Ball with a Pokémon inside it. This is how the battle will begin, which will maintain its lifelong turn-based scheme… albeit with changes.
- We do not know if there will be skills (existing since Generation IV), what is certain is that there will be no fade to black screens: the combat will start directly. Each Pokémon can learn up to four movements simultaneously, as always, receiving a single action per turn. However, things change:
- The characteristics of each Pokémon, among other factors, will determine which Pokémon attacks first and in what order.
For example, a Pokémon can attack twice in a row, thus giving rise to new strategies (attack twice; heal and attack…). The cadence will change continuously according to the previous point. In the interface, the order will appear represented at the top right of the screen.
The movements can be used in two ways: with Quick Style and with Strong Style. In the selection of movement we will be able to choose, before attacking, the style that best suits us in each situation. All movements will have those two styles.
- The Quick Style from Pokémon Legends Arceus increases the speed of each action, thus advancing their turn; but will reduce the damage you cause.
- The Strong Style from Pokémon Legends Arceus will increase the power of movement, but will slow down of action of the Pokémon that we are using.
At the strategic level, the arrival of the Styles —Beyond that seen in the Isle of Armor of Pokémon Sword and Shield— as a permanent element in all movements is a turning point for the saga’s turn-based combat command scheme. Now, the priority of the movements will no longer be decisive, since the Quick Style can take precedence over what we previously had in mind: the speed of the Pokémon and the priority of the movements. In the absence of determining how it affects each creature in the Pokédex according to its base statistics, it is considered the biggest change in the last generations of the saga.
Pokémon Legends Arceus arrives exclusively for Nintendo Switch on January 28, 2022. It will arrive in physical and digital format.
Source | Pokémon Legends Arceus (official web portal)