The current beta version of the PS5 operating system allows storage expansion with your own unit M.2 SSD. In this way you can add a compatible hard drive from the same range to the internal slot. PlayStation has shared the requirements that you must meet to stay in tune with the base hardware.
Additional M.2 SSD Drive Requirements on PS5
Once installed, this unit allows you to download, copy and launch PS5 and PS4 games, as well as multimedia applications. You will be able to exchange files between the hard drives once you have them installed, even if you have other additional storage via USB.
Then we leave you beta requirements that your complementary internal SSD must meet on PS5:
- Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD.
- Capacity: between 250 GB and 4 TB.
- Refrigeration system: “Using an M.2 Ssd on your PS5 requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, like a heatsink. You can add one to your M.2 SSD, either in single-sided or dual-sided format. There are also other models that incorporate their own heatsink ”.
- Sequence reading speedl: 5,500MB / s or faster.
- Module width: 22mm (25mm ones are not supported).
- Form factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
- Socket Type: Socket 3 (M)
- Total size including cooling structure: smaller than 110mm (length) x 25mm (width) x 11.25mm (height)
- Supported length: 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm
- Supported width: 22mm; the complete structure cannot exceed 25mm
- Supported height: the maximum height including the cooling structure must be less than 11.25mm
- Supported single M.2 SSD devices side or double.
- SATA M.2 SSDs are not supported.
- Grades: “not all games can necessarily be played with the same performance that the PS5’s internal SSD offers, even if the read speed is higher than 5500 MB / s”.