The Social Security Administration (SSA) continues to send out monthly checks for retired workers, as well as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for the month. Thanks to the 8.7% increase in the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), average retiree payments increased to about $1,827, according to the SSA.
The maximum benefit for someone who retires at full retirement age, which is 67, is $3,627 per month. On the other hand, beneficiaries who waited until age 70 to retire receive a maximum benefit of $4,555 per month. It is worth mentioning that these amounts do not reflect what each beneficiary receives since the SSA calculates the benefits individually each year with based on the “primary insurance amount” (PIA).
Here’s more about how beneficiary payments are calculated:
April 2023 Social Security Checks: Mailing Dates
SSI recipients receive their payments on the first day of each month or the last day of certain months if the first day falls on the weekend. Those who began receiving their Social Security payments before May 1997 receive their benefits on the 3rd of each month.
The rest of the Social Security checks are sent according to the birthday of the beneficiaries:
- Second Wednesday of the month: retirees with a date of birth between the 1st and 10th
- Third Wednesday: beneficiaries born between the 11th and 20th
- Fourth Wednesday: retirees born between On April 21 and 31
In April, SSA already sent these payments:
- April 3: Beneficiaries who began receiving their payments before May 1997
- April 12: Beneficiaries with a date of birth between April 1 and April 19
- April 21: Beneficiaries with a birth date between 11 and 20
The last payment due for the month is:
- April 26: Recipients with a birth date between 21 and 31
In May, these are the mailing dates:
- May 1: SSI3 recipients
- May 3: Payees who began receiving their payments before May 1997
- May 10: Payees with dates of birth between May 1 and 10
- May 17: Payees with dates of birth between May 11 and 20
- May 24: Payees with dates of birth between 21 and 31
If you are a beneficiary, make sure to keep track of these schedules to know when to expect your payments.
Complete Schedule of Remaining Payments for 2023
Here is a complete schedule of the remaining payments for 2023:
- June 7, July 12, August 9, September 13, October 11, November 8, December 13
Remember to mark your calendars and plan your budget accordingly to avoid any issues with your monthly payments.