The arrival of international tourists reached 5 million in August led by the United Kingdom

Share your love

Spain received in August 5 million passengers from international airports, which represents an increase of 172% compared to the same month of 2020, according to data published this Monday by Turespaña. This figure is almost reaching half (48.6%) of international passenger arrivals that occurred in August 2019, before the pandemic, a month in which record values ​​were recorded.

The Minister of Industry, Commerce and Tourism, Reyes Maroto, has highlighted in a statement that these data confirm that the trend of gradual recovery of international travelers that began last March is consolidating. “The advance in the vaccination of the population together with the instruments put in place to reinforce the destination Spain as safe, such as the Covid-EU digital certificate, have allowed more than 5 million international air passengers to come to Spain,” he said. Maroto.

The minister also highlighted that the decision of the British Government to make its regulations more flexible for trips from 4 October “it is a step in the right direction that will contribute to increasing mobility” with the main outbound market in Spain. “Spain is open to residents of the United Kingdom vaccinated with a complete schedule or traveling with a negative PCR,” he recalled.

UK in the lead

According to data from Turespaña, the increase in international passengers has been registered in the main issuing countries, with the United Kingdom for the first time in 2021 as the first market. Specifically, passenger arrivals from British airports have tripled compared to the same month in 2020 (+ 212.6%) and have reached 821,853 travelers, who have mainly gone to the Balearic Islands.

Read Also   Ortega imprisons student leaders and the peasant movement in Nicaragua

The second issuing country of international passengers to Spain was Germany, with 803,558 travelers in August that had the Balearic Islands as a priority destination. It was followed by France (540,679), Italy (491,698), the Netherlands (369,269), Switzerland (221,369), Belgium (203,404), Portugal (136,907), Ireland (119,781), Poland (113,527) and Denmark (90,951). In all these countries, growth is above 75% compared to August 2020, with increases exceeding 400% in the case of Denmark and Ireland.

Compared to August 2019, when there was no pandemic, The Netherlands is the country with the highest degree of recovery, reaching 83% of the passengers issued two years ago last month; followed by Poland (80.9%) and France (73.5%).

Balearic Islands and Madrid

In August, Baleares it was the main autonomous community of destination for international passengers, accumulating more than a quarter of arrivals (25.9% and 1.29 million travelers). It is followed by Community of Madrid (18.4% and 923,738 passengers), Catalonia (18.3% and 915,387), Andalusia (12.3% and 615,809), the Canary Islands (11.5% and 574,345) and the Valencian Community (11.4% and 570,081).

Catalonia and Madrid were the communities that registered the highest year-on-year growth compared to August last year, with increases in 249.6% and 213.2%, respectively.

By airports, Palma de Mallorca was the one that received the highest volume of international passengers (18.5% of the total), followed by Adolfo Suárez Madrid Barajas (18.4%), Barcelona (17.1%), Malaga (10 , 4%), Alicante (7.3%), Ibiza (5.5%), Tenerife South (4.3%), Valencia (4.1%), Gran Canaria (2.7%) and Fuerteventura (2 ,2%). Of the total number of international passengers who traveled to Spain in August, the majority (60.1%) traveled with a low-cost company, while the remaining 39.9% opted for traditional airlines.

Read Also   The radicals prevent Abascal from leaving the hotel and appearing before the media in Ceuta

Article Source

Share your love