The Government of Chile confirmed that two Mapuches died after a series of clashes with the security forces that occurred this Wednesday afternoon (local time) in the commune of Cañete, Arauco province, Biobío Region. It is an area where a state of exception and militarization currently prevail, the measure of which is repudiated by the indigenous communities in conflict.
The incidents occurred in the route P-72, about 630 kilometers south of the capital. Although there are not many details about what happened on that day, which also had three people injured, the Executive indicates that a group of hooded men blocked the road. According to Aukin, a Mapuche news portal, there was a protest against the military deployment.
Bewla | Peleko Under the rain, at this time about 200 Mapuche community members and a dozen horses from different communities and Lov in Mapuche Resistance from the Lavkenche Strip are marching in the direction of the Peleco crossing, expressing their rejection of the state of exception that prevails in Wallmapu pic.twitter.com/wbTMp4DwKG
– Aukin (@_Aukin) November 3, 2021
The version of the Navy is that at least 15 subjects would have demolished a bus stop and planned to set it on fire, at the same time that it was armed a barricade on the asphalt. While the events were happening, the local media Bio Bio reported that the clashes occurred after the arrest of an individual by the Carabineros, presumably for traveling in a stolen vehicle, which was carrying weapons.
The Minister of the Interior, Rodrigo Delgado, publicly told the official story. He argued that the disturbances occurred at two different times, one at around 2:00 p.m. and the other at around 6:00 p.m. On the first occasion, the Carabineros approached the scene in an armored vehicle, which was reportedly responded to. “with firearms”. Faced with this, the troops threw “non-lethal deterrents”, such as tear gas. In a video of a medium related to the indigenous cause, the protesters can be seen surrounding the car, with sticks and stones, expelling the authorities of the place.
MOMENTS AGO | Mapuche community members continue to cut off the Peleco Crossing despite the police and military presence. The demonstrations are in rejection of the state of exception imposed by the Government on Wallmapu. Transmission fragment made by @_Increasedpic.twitter.com/PJY2eiSeFL
– Summary (@rsumen) November 3, 2021
The head of National Defense in the Arauco and Biobío provinces, Jorge Parga, indicated that when the Marine Corps arrived at the site, the Mapuches took refuge in a wooded area, and then ambushed the Police and Navy troops. “The latter proceeded to repel with non-lethal ammunition and shotgun shots,” said the admiral. Later, Parga argued that protesters started shooting, and security forces also, producing a shooting. However, a witness denied this and claimed that the troops fired “at point blank range”, surprisingly. At 5:30 p.m., the Navy received the information that two wounded people entered health centers.
In the second episode, which took place in a nearby sector, a Navy patrol was also allegedly attacked by unknown persons with “high-caliber weapons,” Delgado said. Faced with this, the uniformed men used “service weapons”. At that time, two detainees, aged 15 and 21, were taken, who according to the Interior Minister were heavily armed.
What is known about the deceased
In the evening, the minister confirmed that the individuals who had entered the sanatoriums with bullet impact, they died. Regarding this, he said that it was still not clear if they were injured in the first incident or in the second. For its part, the Navy later pointed out that it still cannot be confirmed that the deceased participated in the riots. However, the force itself is involved in the case, which will require actions from the criminal justice system.
For its part, the Biobío Prosecutor’s Office Held that at least one of them had already entered the Family Health Center deceased of Cañete, while the other he lost his life when he was transferred to a hospital in the Auracanía Region, something that must be corroborated by autopsies. Both bodies were transferred to the Legal Medical Service to carry out the autopsies, while the National Institute of Human Rights (INDH) will be able to observe the forensic examinations of the prosecutors.
On the identity of the deceased, the Government and the judicial authorities did not provide information. From the community media, they affirm that one of the dead was a 23-year-old commoner, called Yordan Llempi Machacan. However, Werken Noticias denied the second death: “Claudio Iván Porma Leviqueo is in serious condition, awaiting surgery, at the Temuco hospital,” saying a child of the individual.
The Mapuche guerrillas promise to expel the military
After the incidents on the road, the spokesperson for the Arauco-Malleco Coordinator (CAM), Héctor Llatul, called organize self defense Mapuche, reinforcing the sabotage of capital and control of the territory: “What should burn will burn”, express.
For its part, the Weichán Auka Mapu indigenous guerrilla organization published a video where dozens of people are seen displaying an imposing weaponry in a jungle area. There, a spokesperson for the group reads a harsh statement repudiating the state of emergency, stating that “responds to the economic interests in the territory”. For this group, it is “the real power behind the political class”, in a context in which “the Mapuche resistance has forced forestry, landowners, hydroelectric companies and other capitalist expressions to abandon the territory.”
In the second part of the recording, the spokesperson says that “the ultra-right coup” and the “yellow and servile center-left” are put at the service “of the real owners of Chile.” With a more aggressive tone, they brand the military and police as “guard dogs of the rich”, urging them to leave the territory. They also claim the sabotage actions and conclude the recording by firing their weapons at the sky.
Piñera seeks to extend the state of exception for the third time
The president, Sebastián Piñera, declared a state of exception in the South Macrozone in mid-October for an initial period of 15 days. This emergency measure has already been extended twice, and the November 11th will be the deadline.
Faced with this scenario of repeated disturbances, the president announced on Tuesday that he will send to Congress the request to extend the deadline again and guarantee that the uniformed continue to control the provinces of Biobío and Arauco (Biobío Region), together with Malleco and Cautín ( Araucania region). In his ad, Piñera said that “Restoring peace and security to families must compromise everyone”.
Now, the uniformed men control entry and exit access, as well as circulation in each jurisdiction. They are also in charge of authorizing public meetings and applying measures they deem necessary to establish order. To do this, hundreds of troops and military equipment were mobilized, including helicopters, armored cars and other military vehicles.
With this framework, where the dialogue seems more distant every day, the protagonists of the territorial problem allow us to assume that the conflict will increase.
If you found it interesting, share it with your friends.