Sending an image on WhatsApp is something that happens millions of times a day. It is the most usual, we are used to it. But also, sending a photo by WhatsApp can cause someone to hack your mobile from a distance. Or even worse: that it ‘breaks’ it and you cannot access or remove the data you have in the terminal, be it photos, documents, contacts, cards, permits, etc.
Check if you have this version of WhatsApp
WhatsApp and the INCIBE, the Spanish National Cybersecurity Institute, they have alerted from a serious vulnerability detected in a version of the popular WhatsApp app. If you have WhatsApp v18.104.22.168 o WhatsApp Business V22.214.171.124, you are at risk of “Receive a malicious image that can cause corruption of the device memory.or (buffer overflow) ”.
How does this attack work? It is simple and can be done over the Internet without requiring any form of authentication. According to INCIBE, the vulnerable component is Image Blurring Handler: A cybercriminal can “Create and send a malicious image that, due to lack of verification of the blur code when it is received, can cause writing out of limits (overflow) of the buffer or corruption of the memory of the device”, something that It would affect the availability, confidentiality and integrity of the data and programs stored in the terminal.
And although there are cases in which it is possible to extract information from a storage device whose memory has been damaged, it is best not to risk it.
How to know which version of WhatsApp you have
The way to fix it is simply by updating your application to the latest version, which is WhatsApp v.126.96.36.199. To do this, first check which version you have:
- Open the app on your mobile
- On the main screen, tap the vertical three icon at the top right to open options
- Go into Settings
- Open the penultimate option, Help
- Click on the last option, App Info
- Now you will see a screen with WhatsApp Messenger version what do you have on your mobile
- If it is V.188.8.131.52 or lower, please update the app. If it is higher, you are no longer at risk.
How to update WhatsApp on mobile
- Open the Google Play Store, then tap the icon Menu> My apps and games
- Touch UPDATE next to WhatsApp Messenger
- Alternatively, you can open Play Store and search for WhatsApp. Tap UPDATE under WhatsApp Messenger
- Open the store App Store, then click Upgrades
- Tap on UPDATE next to WhatsApp Messenger
- Alternatively, you can open the App Store and search for WhatsApp. Press UPDATE next to WhatsApp Messenger