Do you have an iPhone, iPad, iMac, or MacBook? If you have one or more Apple devices, you might be interested to know that those in Cupertino have released security updates for the operating systems of their devices that correct various security flaws.
A malicious application, audio file, or image could execute arbitrary code, so it’s best to keep your Apple device updated to the latest version.
Apple security update
The company has released updates to correct bugs in versions prior to
macOS Big Sur 11.6.2
macOS Catalina 2021-008
macOS Monterey 12.1
According to Apple, these updates fix bugs, problems, and security flaws such as the following:
- A person with physical access to an iOS device could access contacts from the lock screen and access stored passwords without authentication.
- An attacker in a privileged network position could execute malicious code.
- A remote attacker could cause the application to quit unexpectedly.
- A device could be passively tracked via Airport’s BSSID (Access Point ID).
- A malicious application could identify what other applications the user has installed, bypass Gatekeeper checks, and so on.
- A FaceTime call could unexpectedly leak sensitive user information through Live Photos metadata.
Update your Mac computer
- Access the menu Apple> System Preferences> Software Update
- Check for available updates. If the message you see indicates that ‘Mac is already up to date ‘, that will imply that both the operating system and all Apple applications will be.
- If clicking on ‘Update Now’ the message indicates that there is a pending update, you can download and install it at the moment.
- To ensure you always have the latest updated version, it is advisable to check the box of ‘Keep my Mac up to date’. In this way, you will receive a notification every time there is a new version pending to be installed.
Update your iPhone or iPad
- Go to the menu Settings> General
- Inside General, look for the option ‘Software update’.
- Then you will see your current version of iOS on iPhone or iPadOS on iPad
- If you click on ‘Download and install’, the download of the new update will begin. Otherwise, it will inform you that you have the latest version.