Siri, Apple’s virtual assistant, is a real marvel to improve the efficiency of the company’s devices of the bitten apple logo. It is present in iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and even in Apple AirPods. Its proactivity and the efficiency of its logarithms make it possible for users to request and execute tasks such as searching the Internet, enabling system functions, or controlling home automation accessories.
But there are times when users of Apple ecosystem products don’t require the use of Siri, especially when they accidentally activate their services. Something that can happen very often on AirPods, due to the very idiosyncrasy of this audio playback accessory. For these occasions, there is a solution, completely disconnect its operation. That is why in this tutorial we will explain in detail how to turn off Siri services on Apple AirPods.
If you are tired of the virtual assistant or do not want it to be activated accidentally, this tutorial will come in handy. In addition, the tutorial is suitable for all AirPods models such as the first, second, and third-generation AirPods, as well as the AirPods Pro and AirPods Max.
How to turn off Siri on AirPods
Over the last decade, Apple has done everything possible for its hardware and software engineers to implement all kinds of novelties in the internal protocol of its Siri virtual assistant. Nowadays it is capable of executing all kinds of actions! But, in addition, Apple has also wanted to mold and adapt its operation in the various devices in which it is available.
If a user wants Siri to stop making sounds and activate its functions without speaking, there is an ideal function to write text to Siri instead of using voice commands. And if for any reason, a user wants to completely disconnect the virtual assistant, it is also possible to do so.
Follow these steps to turn off Siri on AirPods 1, AirPods 2, AirPods 3, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max:
- Connect and pair your AirPods with your iPhone.
- Then open Settings on your iPhone.
- Access the “Bluetooth” section.
- Wait for the available devices to charge.
- Press on the button (i) on your AirPods.
- Then press on “Left” or “Right” where you have Siri activation enabled.
- Finally select an option other than “Siri” such as “Next Track”, “Previous Track”, “Play/Pause”, or “No”.
If you’ve followed these steps, Siri won’t be available on AirPods again from now on. It is noteworthy to mention, be that the virtual assistant of the signature of the logo of the apple is available locally on the AirPods. That is, it cannot connect to the Internet since the headphones do not have Wi-Fi connectivity, but they can connect to your iPhone. So when you activate Siri on the AirPods, the assistant is enabled on the iPhone.
How to turn off the “Hey Siri” feature on AirPods
We’ve already disabled Siri activation on Apple’s AirPods thanks to the steps above. Now, if you have a second-generation AirPods or later, with an AirPods Pro or with an AirPods Max, the “Hey Siri” function will still be present.
This feature allows users to enable the Siri assistant through the “Hey Siri” voice command. Sometimes it can be activated accidentally, it has happened to us even watching a series on TV! If you want to turn off this feature on your AirPods you must also disable it on your iPhone.
Here are the steps you need to follow to turn off the “Hey Siri” feature of your AirPods:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Enter the “Siri and Search” section.
- Then turn off the “Turn on when listening to Hear Siri” function button.
- Additionally you can also turn off the functions “By pressing the side button” and “Siri with locked screen”.
How to turn off Siri on AirPods on iPad and Mac
The steps in this tutorial to learn how to turn off Siri on AirPods are focused on the operation of the virtual assistant on the iPhone because it is usually the device preferred by users when pairing their wireless headphones. But if you’re using Siri on an iPad or Mac, you’ll also be able to turn off its services.
Follow these steps to completely turn off Siri on an Apple iPad, regardless of model:
- Open the Settings app on your iPad.
- Access the “Bluetooth” section.
- Then press on the button (i) of your AirPods.
- Click on the “Left” or “Right” option and assign another function.
Here are the instructions for turning off Siri on AirPods via a Mac:
- Make sure your AirPods are connected to your Mac.
- Tap on the logo of the menu bar.
- Select “System Preferences”.
- Enter the “Bluetooth” section.
- The next thing you need to do is click on “Options”.
- Select “Left” or “Right” and choose an alternative function.
In the case where you have followed the guidelines that we have proposed in this tutorial, you will have completely turned off Siri services on your AirPods. Of course, if you need to reactivate the virtual assistant on your headphones you can do it by following the steps in reverse.
We hope this tutorial has helped you when it comes to disconnecting Siri activation on AirPods. If you use Apple wireless headphones a lot, we recommend you take a good look at this fantastic trick to increase the sound volume of the AirPods through the voice range features of their settings on iOS and iPadOS.