We’re the Millers has an immense fan following. The comedy movie was released in 2013 with a strong star cast. It was a huge box office success and received 7 out of 10 stars on IMDb. The script was written by Steve Faber. It grossed more than $270 million in its theatrical release with merely an overall budget of about $37 million.
The end of the movie left some questions for the interpretation of the audience. Thus, they have been waiting for the sequel for the longest time. Although a sequel has been announced by the producers, as of now, no substantial details are out on it.
We have tried to gather some information about the sequel. Here are the possible updates on We’re the Millers 2.
Take A Recap
Before jumping to the plot of the second installment of the movie, let us take you back to where it all started. David is a small-time drug dealer who dreams of having a king-size life. He is aloof and very much single, which adds to his sarcastic humor and good comic timing in the movie. As there is no space for kindness in the world, one night, when David plans to help a few people with their problem, they steal his money and drugs, leaving David all beaten up.
Now, David is scared as he has to recover and collect a fresh consignment of drugs all the way from Mexico. How will he do everything on his own and receive the consignment safely? He needs a fake family that looks genuine to others to help him attain the mission. It is when the idea of hiring a stripper as his wife, the neighborhood’s innocent boy as a son, and a petty thief as a daughter comes to his mind.
The whole movie is about the problems faced by each character, especially David. How do they make friends, get betrayed, and also get caught? The plot, characters, dialogues, and everything in between readily give you a good dose of comedy and drama, making it a must-watch for comedy lovers.
What Will be in Store in the Sequel of the Movie?
The ending of We’re the Millers itself suggested that a sequel was going to happen to it.
In the end, it is revealed that David has colluded with the DEA to turn into the big-time dealer he is smuggling marijuana for. In exchange for his testimony against Chacon and Gurdlinger, David is placed in witness protection. Rose, Kenny, and Casey should become witnesses too to join him.
The movie closes with ‘The Millers’ living together as a family in a suburban house with a white picket fence. The camera then captures to show they are growing marijuana in their backyard. The story is left wide open for the audience’s interpretation and hints a sequel. The audience may expect the cast to explore their attempts to blend into suburbia or revolve around their enemies, who are trying to seek revenge on David and his family.
When Will the Sequel be Released?
After a long break, the makers announced the sequel of We’re the Millers in 2021. The news of the confirmation from the makers spread like wildfire, and it was expected to release in 2022. However, there is still no word from the makers or actors regarding when it will air on the screens.
But given the excitement among the fans, it is expected that the makers will soon disclose information about the release date of the movie. At least, a teaser is expected from them.
Who will be part of We’re the Millers 2?
There is no confirmation about the addition or removal from the cast of the first part. It appears that the core cast will remain the same for the sequel. Take a look at the main characters of the movie.
- Jason Sudeikis as David Clark – He is a hopeless drug dealer who gets stuck in a problem for his act of kindness.
- Jennifer Aniston as Rose – David’s fake wife and a stripper.
- Will Poulter as Kenny – The innocent virgin son
- Emma Roberts as Casey Mathis – The hired petty thief turned David’s daughter.
Besides this, there may be other characters in the movie. All we can do is wait for a word from the makers.
A Writer has been Hired for Pen Down Movie’s Sequel
In a recent update, the makers hired a writer to pen down the sequel of We’re the Millers.
Owing to the huge success of the movie at the box office, the production company, New Line, rushed its sequel into development. They hired Due Date screenwriter Adam Sztykiel in 2014 to replace the first film’s four-man writing team and pen a follow-up. Reportedly, the sequel will be titled We’re Still the Millers.
Director Rawson Marshall Thurber was also expected to return. However, the news seems to be uncertain. The pace of production has been slow. But there’s some good news too. The sequel is still classed as ‘in production’ on IMDb. Thus, there is still a chance of it happening.
Fun Facts about We’re the Millers that the Fans Should Know
- When released in 2013, We’re the Millers became the 16th biggest-grossing movie of the year. It still has a huge fandom, and the audience cannot wait for an update on the sequel.
- The coffeehouse scene that the movie has at the beginning is the Port City Java, located on Market Street in Wilmington. The coffee cup that the character holds is the actual Port City Java cup having the logo turned to the side.
- We’re the Millers is one of the three movies for Emma Roberts to co-star with a female lead from Friends. In this movie, Emma worked with Jennifer Aniston. Previously, she had been part of a movie called Hotel for Dogs alongside Lisa Kudrow. Emma has appeared with Courtney Cox too in Scream 4.
- Emma Roberts is the niece of Julia Roberts, one of the most successful names in Hollywood during her time.
- Despite the subject matter of the movie (marijuana), no character is seen consuming it.
- A large number of the main cast of the movie have portrayed characters on one or more NBC comedy series throughout their careers. Jennifer Aniston had been a part of Friends, one of the most celebrated sitcoms of the 90s. Jason Sudeikis appeared in Saturday Night Live. Ed Helms had been a part of The Office, another successful comic drama. Nick Offerman was seen in Parks and Recreation, and Kathryn Hahn starred in the same series and Free Agents. Lastly, Scott Adsit was seen in 30 Rock.