RIO DE JANEIRO, Aug 26 (Reuters) – YouTube said on Thursday it had suspended payments to content producers from 14 channels accused of spreading false news about next year’s elections by the country’s Superior Electoral Court.
Most channels offer full and regular support to far-right President Jair Bolsonaro, a former army captain who has been casting doubt on the credibility of next year’s vote.
The president is below the polls, weighed down by his management of the second deadliest coronavirus outbreak in the world and the weakness of the economy.
“We reinforce our commitment to collaborate with the work of the authorities in Brazil and continue investing in policies, resources and products to protect the YouTube community from harmful content,” said YouTube – owned by Alphabet Inc – in a statement in which it announced measure.
Last week, the electoral justice inspector general, Luis Felipe Salomão, ordered YouTube, Twitch.TV, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to suspend payments to people and pages that spread disinformation about the Brazilian electoral system.
In July, YouTube said it had removed videos from Bolsonaro’s channel for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus outbreak, becoming the latest tech giant to withdraw its statements about the pandemic.
(Report by Aluísio Alves; edited in Spanish by Carlos Serrano)