Zootopia was released in 2016 in full swing, and in no time, it became the favorite of many people, including the young and adult audience. The critical reception of the movie, too, was extremely overwhelming. It bagged the Academy Award for Best Animated Film the following year.
The first part of the movie received immense love from the fans. Even after six years, they are eagerly waiting to know if their favorite animated movie will release its sequel. Well, we have got you covered, and we bring some information about the release of your favorite movie. Read this article till the end to find out.
What is Zootopia All About?
Zootopia is a 2016 American animated comedy movie directed by Byron Howard and Rich Moore. The screenplay is done by Jared Bush and Phil Johnson.
The movie narrates the story of an unexpected partnership between a rookie rabbit police officer called Judy and a cynical fox con artist called Nick. They come together to unveil the mysteries behind the mysterious disappearance of the predators. The movie was released on the 4th of March, 2016 all over the United States of America under the distribution of Disney Motion pictures. It became a blockbuster and grossed the collection of $1.2 billion at the box office, crossing the budget of $150 million, respectively.
Is Zootopia 2 Happening?
Since the release of the first part of the movie, many rumors have been revolving regarding the update of its second part. In the latest rumors and updates, it is revealed that the release date of Zootopia 2 has been canceled. There are now new speculations that the movie will not release this year, and if it is to be renewed anytime sooner, it will not happen before 2024.
The news about the cancelation of their favorite movie and characters did not disappoint the fans. They are still hopeful that they will see this movie from the very beginning in its second part and experience the same joy ride with immense fun. The excitement and love for Zootopia among the fans are unreal. In one of Reddit’s polls, it showed that dozens of people are happy to wait for the next five years to watch the sequel of the movie, expecting that it will be even better than the original film.
What Cast will Zootopia 2 Include?
If there are chances of Zootopia part 2 happening anytime in the upcoming years, all the main players from the movie are expected to reprise their roles. We are talking about the below-listed characters/actors.
- Ginnifer Goodwin as Judy Hopps
- Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde
- Jenny Slate as Dawn Bellwether
- Idris Elba as Chief Bogo
- Nate Torrence as Benjamin Clawhauser
- Bonnie Hunt as Bonnie Hopps
- Don Lake as Stu Hopps
- Tommy Chong as Yax
- J.K. Simmons as Mayor Lionheart
- Octavia Spencer as Mrs. Otterton
- Alan Tudyk as Duke Weaselton
The update about the new characters in the movie remains under wraps. You will have to wait for a solid word from the director or their team to learn about the addition and subtraction of the characters.
What will be the Plot of Zootopia 2?
Unlike others, the first part of Zootopia did not finish off on a cliffhanger. Thus, if the second part is to be released, expect the plot to explore different directions from its prequel. There are endless possibilities.
At the conclusion of the first part, the fans saw how Nick Wilde had risen through the ranks to become the top fox in the Zootopia Police Department. Along with Judy Hopps, he dared the criminals to protect the city and was her accomplice. As a result, the Black German Shepherd’s ruthless dark servant, Tadashi Gorki, has robbed a firm of a secret design filled with talents. At the same time, former Mayor Bellwether, who also happens to be the antagonist, had been released from jail. She is attempting to regain Nick and Judy in an effort to be institutionalized.
On the other hand, Nick and Judy will be sent to the bustling metropolis of Charmingtown and make an effort to transport the bodies of the crooks, Bellwether, and their backers to this location. It hatches yet another plot. In the first part, fans also see Ferb Dogfaulsi achieving his goal of turning herbivores into savage carnivores by conjuring evil spirits in them.
The movie ends with Nick and Judy outsmarting Bellwether by swapping the night howler darts with blueberries. Nick pretends to be feral while Judy re-enacts her death scene from the opening school play, and they record the villain’s monologue on Judy’s carrot pen – exposing her plot to the public.
Where can I Watch Zootopia?
You can have a good entertaining time watching Zootopia on Disney+. The run time of Zootopia is 108 minutes.
Why Should I Watch Zootopia?
There is not one but many reasons why you should not skip watching this animated movie.
The Movie Delivers a Powerful Message
One may presume this movie to be full of funny sloths and characters, but it is more than that. The scene where Judy and Nick have a frustrating encounter with a group of sloths is extremely funny and very well done, and did a great job marketing it for the kids. The real content, however, gets deeper and turns out to be very pleasant and relevant as a surprise. Since the movie throws light on many social issues, it would not be wrong to call it a super-smart social commentary that even adults would benefit from watching.
It Teaches that You Do Not Have to be Perfect to Make a Difference in the World
Besides spreading a social message, Zootopia also teaches that you don’t have to be perfect to make a difference in the world. Judy, one of the protagonists, is also one of the most loved characters in the movie. Despite being a cartoon bunny, she is a realistic and fully fleshed-out character. She, along with the other animal characters, offers the audience many opportunities for identification and self-reflection.
Another thing that the movie teaches you throughout the runtime is that what makes you unique is worth celebrating.
One of the most delightful sequences in the movie depicts how the city adapts to house different types of animals under different climates and other varied features. Each character is differently portrayed from the other. Together they are one unique party that helps each other in the many ups and downs.
A Series of Emotions
Zootopia successfully puts a fresh spin on the old saying, ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover’. The characters in the movie play stereotypes as well as fight against them in many surprising ways. It brings along a series of emotions for the audience. Throughout the movie, you will find yourself both laughing out loud as well as cringing at the parallels. At the same time, Zootopia will make you emotional in various instances.
The Movie Tackles Serious Topics with Humor
Zootopia indeed throws light on many serious topics, but at the same time, it doesn’t leave humor at bay. There are some funny adult pop culture references that will fly over kids’ heads, but you will get them right.
For instance, Shakira, The Godfather, and Breaking Bad, all show up in the movie and inspire a seriously adorable Q&A between the son and father. The movie is so smartly created.
Interesting Facts About Zootopia Everyone Should Know
- When the animators were designing Judy Hopps, she began as a really cute bunny. However, they eventually decided to make her look fiercer in the end so that she could justify her character of being a police officer.
- The design for Mayor Lionheart was inspired by Mufasa, Simba’s father in The Lion King. No wonder this character turned out to look so regal.
- Zootopia comprises sixty-four unique species, most of which are unique in topology. For instance, elephants have trunks, pigs have snouts, some animals have hooves, some have paws, some have three fingers, and others have two.
- One of the most interesting characters in the movie, Gazelle, is inspired by Shakira. In fact, the Colombian singer voiced this character. She has also contributed a song called Try Everything. The song has been written by Sia and Stargate.
- Around 550 people were involved in the making of the movie. It is almost like a small town getting together to make an animated film. As a result, the movie turned out to be a huge success.
- A lot of work has been done in writing the story. In one of the interviews, the production team revealed that certain scenes took story writer, Josie Trinidad, many weeks or months to create. Unfortunately, the makers removed them from the film, which left her extremely flabbergasted.
- If you see a bit of Disney’s Robin Hood when you look at Nick Wilde, there is a reason behind it. The head of the animation, Renato dos Anjos loves the movie. Thus, he started his Zootopia journey keeping Robin Hood in mind.
- Before working on the movie, the whole team learned quite a bit about the animals and developed it accordingly. They even shared some things in the interview while promoting the movie. For instance, wildebeests aren’t very bright. They will all walk into deep water and almost drown if they see another wildebeest do the same.
- Zootopia is the second-longest cartoon story ever told by Disney. As stated, the movie runs for 108 minutes. The first longest movie ever run by the channel is Fantasia (126 minutes). Other Disney movies with longer duration include Winnie the Pooh (60 minutes), Wreck-It Ralph (101 minutes), Frozen (102 minutes), and Big Hero 6 (102 minutes).
- Assistant Mayor Bellwether was inspired by the lambs in the old Disney movies, Make Mine Music and Melody Time.
- The CGI proudly leaped forward while working on this movie, especially when it comes to the hairs of the animals. One giraffe in it has 9 million CGI hairs on his body, which is more than rendered in all the characters of the previously animated Disney movies. Even Rapunzel’s hair in Tangled was made up of 100,000 to 200,000. Kudos to the hard work of the team.