Talk about the show Deadliest Catch, and the mention of Andy Hillsrand is a must. The famous face on the show left the whole fans shocked when he decided to exit it in 2020. Andy sailed through the sea with this F/V time Bandit and his crew of sailors to catch crabs in the crab season. He was ready for everything the sea had to offer him. But his sudden exit from the reality show left everyone wondering why he would do that after years of amicable filming with the Discovery Channel.
So, why did Andy have to leave the show, and where is he currently? This article answers all the questions.
Who is Andy Hillstrand?
Andy Hillstrand is a famous American reality TV personality and a veteran fisherman. He was the co-captain of the commercial crab fishing vessel ‘F/V Time Bandit’ along with his older brother Jonathan Hillstrand.
Andy rose to prominence in 2006 when he appeared as a cast member of the reality shows Deadliest Catch. The series showcases on Discovery channel and follows crab fishermen aboard fishing vessels in the Bering Sea during the Alaskan king crab and snow crab fishing seasons.
Why Did Andy Hillstrand Quit the Show
After appearing in the show for years, Andy decided to leave it in 2020. As per a report, he tried to keep away from the spotlight as soon as he left the show. While on the show, in 2017, he had to take a break from his construction work after a serious injury. Andy then confirmed that he would no longer be a part of The Deadliest Catch in an interview.
During a candid chat, Andy shared that the circumstances of working on Deadliest Catch were far from ideal. As he recalls it, scheduling issues and conflicting brand ideologies soured his relationship with the producers. The misunderstanding built up, which convinced him to walk out of the show.
“There was a lot of misunderstanding. We thought Discover had everything they needed, but then they came back and said they needed pickup shots, so our schedule was pretty much screwed. It got to the point in our relationship where something had to change, and we just said enough is enough. So we butted heads for a while.”
The head-butting between the channel and Andy effectively led to his decision to part ways from the show. He has no plans of coming back anytime soon.
After years of working in the frigid waters of the Bering Strait under harsh weather conditions and stressful circumstances that can take a toll on the health of an individual, Andy, who has always remained fiercely independent and loyal to his unique brand identity, simply did not want to take any more disheartening treatment from the channel. Thus, he ended his tenure early and left all his fans disappointed.
What is the Deadliest Catch all About?
Deadliest Catch is one of the most famous shows that airs on Discovery Channel. It dives into the sea life and aquatic animals. The show premiered in 2005, and since then, it has gained a large number of viewers and loyal fans. It has had several members from the Hillstrand family who have been closely associated with the adventures of the sea for decades. Deadliest Catch tells about the lives of fishermen who catch crabs in the crab season while simultaneously fighting against the perils of the tea.
Created by Thom Beers and narrated by Mike Rowe, Deadliest Catch has completed 18 seasons since its premiere. The episodes air on weekdays on the Discovery Channel.
Where is Andy Hillstrand Now?
After his exit from the show, Andy has made efforts to get as far away from the spotlight as he can. According to some reports, Andy Hillstrand now resides in the Seattle-Tacoma area. He is the proud owner of Hillstrand Construction he built from the ground up.
Andy had to take a break from his construction work in the summer of 2017 after his back surgery. However, he appears to have fully recovered and resumed all his activities shortly after. The chances of him returning on the show remain bleak as Andy has confirmed that he is in no mood to join the channel.
According to Andy, his ultimate goal is to retire on a yacht in warmer waters, fishing again anytime soon. The fans are hoping to get constant updates from his favorite man.
Little-Known Facts About Andy Hillstrand
- Andy was born on the 25th of September, 1963, in Homer, a city in Kenai Peninsula Borough in the US state of Alaska.
- He is passionate about ocean and water life and says it runs in his blood.
- Andy is an adventurous personality. He learned to ride a horse only to teach it to his daughter but in no time he mastered it.
- Andy has been the winner of the Alaska National Barrel Horse Association barrel racing reserve title in 1998.
- He rejected Discovery Channel’s first proposition to appear in the Deadliest Catch and later changed his mind to eventually leave the show because of internal differences and misunderstandings.
- Besides horse riding and adventuring underwater, Andy also likes to listen to music.
- Andy had worked as a commercial fisherman for almost three decades in his life before he began appearing on the show.
- He is a third-generation Alaskan fisherman.
- Besides the Discovery show, Andy has appeared in other television shows, such as the documentary reality series After the Catch.
- He is married to Sabrina Hillstrand, who he met when he was only 19. The couple has been going strong since then and has completed 33 years of union. The couple has two daughters – Cassandra and Chelsea.
- As of 2021, Andy’s net worth was recorded at around $1.5 million.