Rafael Edward Cruz, popularly known as Ted Cruz, is an American politician and attorney serving as the junior United States senator from Texas since 2013. He is a member of the Republican Party and has served as the Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to 2008, respectively.
Ted’s current term as a member of the US Senate ends on the 3rd of January, 2025, but apparently, he is running for re-election to represent Texas. He declared his candidacy for the 2024 election. As a politician, Cruz has earned a successful name for himself and made a decent amount of wealth.
This article discusses the senator’s career, net worth, and other details. Read till the end to find out.
Early Life of Ted Cruz
Cruz was born Rafael Edward Cruz on the 22nd of December, 1970, at Foothills Medical Center in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to parents Eleanor Elizabeth and Rafael Cruz. By the age of 13, he began by going Ted.
At the time of his birth, his parents had lived in Calgary for three years and were employed in the oil business as owners of a seismic-data processing firm for oil drilling. In one of his interviews, Cruz revealed that he is the son of ‘two mathematicians/computer programmers.’
His father left the family and moved to Texas when he was 4. Later, the parents reconciled and relocated the family to Houston. But things didn’t work out between the couple, and they finally divorced in 1997. Cruz has two older half-sisters from his father’s first marriage.
Political Career of Ted Cruz
Cruz graduated from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and pursued a career in politics. Initially, he worked as a policy advisor in the George W. Bush administration before serving as the Solicitor General of Texas. In 2012, Cruz was elected to the US Senate, becoming the first Hispanic-American as US Senator from Texas. He took conservative positions on economic and social policies, and played an integral role in the 2013 United States Federal Government Shutdown, seeking to force Congress and former President Obama to defund 2018 against Democratic candidate Beto O’Rourke.
2016 was a vital year in Cruz’s political career. He ran for the President of the United States, placing second behind Donald Trump in the Republican primaries. Initially, he declined to endorse Trump’s campaign and made several personal attacks against him. But after winning the nomination, he became a staunch Trump supporter while the latter was the President.
In January 2021 Capitol attack, Cruz received widespread political and popular backlash for objecting to the certification of Joe Biden’s victory in the 2020 presidential election and giving credence to the false claim that the election process was fraudulent.
More Political Highlights
- While serving as Solicitor General for Texas from 2003 to 2008, Ted Cruz argued nine cases before the Supreme Court.
- He won re-election in 2018, defeating Beto O’Rourke in the general election. The race witnessed the most spending in US history.
- Cruz was one of the four Latino US senators to have served in the 115th Congress.
- He defeated David Dewhurst in the Republican Party primary for United States Senate in 2012. The latter had finished first place in the initial primary, with Cruz in the second. After both advancing to the runoff, Cruz won with voting 56 percent.
- Ted Cruz was also included on former President Donald Trump’s list of 20 potential US Supreme Court nominees released in 2020.
What is Ted Cruz’s Net Worth?
Ted Cruz has associated himself with politics for more than a decade now and acquired pivotal positions in his political career. Thus, it would not come as a surprise if we tell you that he enjoys a net worth of $44 million. Reportedly, his salary is $175,000.
How Does Ted Cruz Spend his Wealth?
The senator likes to live in luxury. He lives in one of the fanciest houses in Austin, Texas. The property spreads up to a 5,000-square-foot area and comprises bedrooms, three bathrooms, and one pool. Cruz bought this property for a whopping $10 million. According to some reports, he owns four properties across the United States of America.
Cruz is also fond of buying cars. His car collection is impressive! Reportedly, he purchased a brand-new Porsche 911 for $280,000. He also owns an Audi A6 worth $120,000. Other popular cars in his collection include Volvo XC60, Land Rover Defender, Tesla Model 3, and more.
Besides real estate and cars, the senator has a penchant for the watch. Over the years, many wealthy donors have gifted him some of the most exclusive watches. His watch collection includes prized possessions like a Chopard worth $105,000, Audemars Piguet worth $90,000, Bovet Fleurier worth $120,000, etc.
Who is Ted Cruz Married to?
Ted Cruz exchanged rings with Heidi Nelson on the 27th of May, 2001. They met when Cruz was working on George W. Bush’s 2000 presidential campaign. Heidi took leave from her position as the head of Southwest Region in the Investment Management Division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. in 2016 to support her husband’s run for president. The happy couple is blessed with two daughters – Caroline and Catherine.
Lesser-Known Interesting Facts About Ted Cruz
- Ted Cruz’s father was imprisoned as a teen in Cuba before he escaped to the United States of America on a student Visa.
- Cruz’s first job was at his parents’ company, where he worked as a computer operator when he was only 11. He was paid $1 an hour.
- The family went bankrupt when he was in high school. As a result, Cruz had to take loans and juggle two jobs to pay for his Princeton fee.
- While in high school, Cruz was approached for a role in The Sound of Music twice. But he rejected the proposal.
- Ted Cruz climbed Mount Fuji in Japan.
- He loves playing Candy Crush and even finished level 350.
- Cruz bought his first car, a 1978 Ford Fairmont, and nicknamed it the Green Bomb.
- His favorite food is cheese, and he hates avocados.
- Surprisingly, the Cruz family is vegetarian.
- Ted Cruz’s favorite movie is The Princess Bride. In one of his candid interviews, he stated that he could quote every line from that movie.
- The family likes to spend holidays playing dominoes in Cuban style.
- His favorite shows include Criminal Minds, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, and Breaking Bad. He has watched every episode of these shows.